He lived ready... Aaron S. Williams, 29, passed away February 4, 2010 following a long, proud and fierce battle with kidney cancer. A valiant warrior, he lived his life with graceful purpose. Diagnosed with cancer at the age of 16, Aaron deliberately marched to the beat of a different drum, defying all medical odds to graduate from Brentwood Christian High School in 1999 and the University of Texas in 2004 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. His talents were employed as a Research Engineer at U.T.'s Center for Electro-Mechanics. Aaron taught us how to live. His indomitable spirit, unwavering obsession for Star Wars and gaming, selfless love for family and friends, and contagious passion for Christ inspired all.


Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fly Away Home

I was able to join the whole Williams family for Choi's graduation from USAFA in 2006.  After the festivities, Sam and I were dropped off at the airport to catch our flights back to Austin while everyone else drove back.  My flight was scheduled to depart a good three hours before Sam's, but it kept on getting delayed... first 20 minutes... then an hour... then two hours....  

I was somewhat dismayed, as this was the first trip I'd ever planned for myself by myself.  But Sam kept me company while I waited for news of my flight.  And he even kept my mind off my predicament by whooping me at a game of Cribbage!  :-)  When the time came for him to board his plane, I was still stuck in the airport with no end in sight.  He offered to stay with me until I could get onto a plane, taking his own chances with future flights, but I convinced him that I would be fine and shooed him onto his plane.  

Eventually, I learned that my flight was cancelled until the next day.  It would almost have been faster to drive back with Choi, but then I wouldn't have had those hours with my "other brother."  I'd call that time well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment